Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Veggie Eats: Creamy Truffle Sauce


This recipe is inspired by the combination of two foodie obsessions of mine... 

The first inspiration is from a zen little vegetarian restaurant, The Green Temple. They have the most amazing Tofu sauce that is used on almost all their dishes...so delicious and yummy, I literally leave no trace of it on my plate...OUT OF THIS WORLD!

The second inspiration is from my last visit to Italy, where I enjoyed the most decadent, TO-DIE-FOR truffle sauce...it left me searching for truffle anywhere I could, and caused me to make a splurge purchase of some truffle oil at the market so I can make my own sauces (It wasn't really THAT expensive...more than your average olive oil...).

The best thing about the combination of the two is that this sauce gives you the creamy, rich truffle flavor...without the dairy.

I have been experimenting between veganism and vegetarianism, trying to find what feels best for my body, and the one thing that has made the most impact is cutting out dairy...I'm not perfect, and I've been dabbling with cheese 1-2 times per week, but I've definitely noticed a difference in my digestion, energy level, and weight management.

Enough about me though, let's get started...

Ingredients:

*Sprouted tofu, 1 lb.
Olive oil, 1/2 cup
**Bragg's Amino's or Tamari, 1/3 cup
Garlic, 2 cloves
Lemon, juice of 2
**Nutritional Yeast, optional, 1 tsp.
**Truffle oil, 1 1/2 tsp.
Oregano, 3-4 pinches

Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth.

You can heat the sauce and top over pasta, vegetables, or use in place of a creamy mushroom sauce in a casserole.

*Un-sprouted tofu can be used as well. I prefer the sprouted, as it is made from sprouted soybeans, which increases the calcium, iron, and protein in the tofu.
**These items can be purchased at your local health food store or Amazon, which is a great resource to get deals on some of the more specialty grocery items.

1 comment:

  1. Danielle, I am really enjoying your blog... I have been getting into health and wellness myself and I appreciate your cute style and great tips! :)

    PS-- I am going to be home over the holidays if you feel like grabbing a drink together and catching up :D Holler at me over FB if you have the time.

    Kasey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...